Sunday, December 22, 2019

Young hearts

We have been praying for a few years now for the hearts of our secondary students.  The range is wide regarding their faith journeys.  Students whose parents are full-time missionaries and they have embraced their faith as their own.  Some have grown up in a Christian home but seem indifferent about their faith.  Those who come from different religious backgrounds.  Others who profess to be atheist.  And still, others who ask lots of questions and never seem satisfied.  Our prayer was for these hearts to catch on fire for the things of God and become passionate in their faith.  We never expected how He would answer those prayers.

To be honest, at some points it seemed like our prayers were hitting a brick wall.  Don't get me wrong, we have seriously awesome students!  However, there did not seem to be new ground gained or momentum building.  That was until the last day of our high school retreat back in September.  My friend and fellow WGM colleague, Mike Banks, came to be the speaker at our retreat.  On the last day, with just a couple hours to go, one of our Korean students asked to talk one-on-one with Mike.  "L" was one of those students who professed to be an atheist.  A very polite young man who did not cause much trouble and sat through all the required Christian programs like Chapel and Bible Class.  To be honest, he was last on my mind as one who would be the answer to our prayers. 

I saw Mike and L walking over to me and L's face was different.  Mike told me that L had some news to share with me.  With a smile that stretched from ear to ear, L informed me that He had given His life to Christ.  I gave L a big hug and congratulated him.  I then asked if I could share the news with his classmates and I expected him to say no.  However, with an equally big grin on his face, L said yes.  What joy as I shared the news and the group erupted in cheers and hugs for L.  A holy moment for sure!
This was the beginning of serious momentum this school year.  We will share more in the days to come but we praise God for how He answers prayers.  L is seriously hungry and even a bit frustrated in his lack of Bible knowledge compared to his peers.  We plan to begin a "beginners class" for L and some others who desire to solidify the foundation of their faith knowledge.  Pray for us as we journey with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation!