Friday, October 03, 2008

No more lukewarm!!


These letters to the churches in Revelation are hardcore! Today's challenge is to the lukewarm church, and I must confess that it is all too easy to slip into that lukewarm category when I rush right by Him in my daily busy-ness!

Today's readings: Revelation 3, Nehemiah 4, Psalm 98

"I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot. So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth. Because you say, 'I am rich, have become wealthy, and have need of nothing' - and do not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked- I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire, that you may be rich; and white garments, that you may be clothed, that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed, and anoint your eyes with salve, that you may see. As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten. Therefore be zealous and repent. Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door; I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me." -Revelation 3:15-20

I get stuck in this cycle all the time- the same cycle the Israelites got stuck in during the Old Testament- Prosper- Forget God- Fail- Cry out to God- Prosper- Forget God- Fail- Cry out to God. It is this vicious cycle of my ignorant independence that gets me in trouble! When my life is going fine, I foolishly think that I can make it on my own without God's help. Then, of course, since I am ignoring Him my life falls apart. So I cry out to Him for help... but as soon as He fixes my problems, I forget Him again! All of that confession to say- I am utterly aware of how easy it is to become lukewarm! We forget that we are utterly dependent on God for life, and breath, health, and success... not to mention salvation! God hates it when we coast along without Him- it pains Him to watch us flail about in our own strength thinking we're doing okay, when He has glorious plans to use us in mighty ways! So He rebukes us. And it hurts. But listen to His invitation- He is standing at the door of your heart, waiting for you to slow down and sit with Him.

All He wants is to spend time with you- the God of the universe, the savior of your soul- wants to dine with you. Will you prepare the table of your heart, grab a cup of coffee (a pumpkin spice latte sounds even better!), light a candle and enjoy His presence. Set a date with Him- and keep it. This solitude will give Him the space He needs to do a work in your heart and transform your life! How could you pass that up? This is an invitation of a lifetime- and He extends it daily. You just rush by too quickly to take advantage of this wondrous offer. Even giving Him 15 minutes a day is a start- but in addition to that, get out your calendar, and set a date when you can give him 30 minutes (an hour would be even better) to just enjoy His presence, listen to His voice, talk with Him about the people you love. This love affair doesn't have to grow stagnant and lukewarm- you just have to give it some time and attention!

Praying that we would all invest the time it takes for our love to burn HOT,
Kelly

1 comment:

  1. beautifully said kelly and some words of wisdom I needed to hear today.

    Thanks for sharing!

    your old friend

    Tricia

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!