Monday, November 30, 2009

Advent Devotional

Advent is, perhaps, my favorite time of year. It is a season of waiting, with hopeful expectancy... remembering that Christ came to restore our relationship with God... and remembering that He promised to come again...

This year I'm reading a new Advent Devotional. You can get it here. Henri Nouwen is my favorite author- so I'm sure I won't be disappointed!

An excerpt from day 1: "I keep expecting loud and impressive events to convince me and others of God's saving power... Our temptation is to be distracted by them... When I have no eyes for the small signs of God's presence- the smile of a baby, the carefree play of children, the words of encouragement and gestures of love offered by friends- I will always remain tempted to despair.

The small child of Bethlehem, the unknown man of Nazareth, the rejected preacher, the naked man on the cross, HE asks for my full attention. The work of our salvation takes place in the midst of a world that continues to shout, scream and overwhelm us with its claims and promises." -Henri J.M. Nouwen

Read Isaiah 11:1-3

"We welcome you, small child of Bethlehem, whose coming we await with quiet attention. Shield us from the shouts, the screams, the empty promises of the season, and encourage us to turn our hopes to your coming. We know that the promise is hidden in the stable in Bethlehem and rooted in the offspring of Jesse; let us look for our salvation there. Amen.

Today I will look for one small sign that God is present in my daily life. I will give thanks for His presence. If He is absent, I will resolve to find out why.

-Advent and Christmas Wisdom from Henri Nouwen (Day 1)

How are you fixing your eyes on Jesus this season? How are you reaching beyond your holiday traditions and truly loving the world, like He did??

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara and I ordered this book per your recommendation. We were looking for a devotional we could do every day for Advent and it doesn't get much better than the writing of Henri Nouwen. Thanks for recommending this wonderful book.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!