Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Who do you Need Jesus to Be?

Kelly with a little boy. August 2004
These verses are so beautiful... a lovely description of who Jesus is and what He came to do. Read on and be delighted by our wonderful Savior!

"The Spirit of God is upon Me, because the Lord has anointed Me to preach good tidings to the poor; He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to those who are bound; to proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all who mourn, to console those who mourn in Zion, to give them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they may be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that He may be glorified." -Isaiah 61:1-3

Our Precious Savior... take a moment and just drink in the sweet word of God! As Jesus is described as coming to earth for the poor, the brokenhearted, the prisoner, those who mourn, those with heavy burdens... it convicts and challenges me and comforts me all at the same time! I know I am often the bound by bad attitudes and pride, and He came for me.... that is the comforting part. But the conviction comes at the realization of how far I am from being like Him! He came as a babe, into humble circumstances (probably circumstances I wouldn't lower myself to!) to spend all His time with needy people. Wow. That blows my mind! And yet stirs within me a longing to be more like Him- there is such joy in meeting people's needs, such reward in loving them with the love of Jesus- and yet my daily life doesn't reflect that!

Chapel Program at Heritage International School
As the reality of our call to missions sinks in, I am growing more aware of my inadequacy. There is so much Jesus has yet to teach me, so much I need to learn, so much compassion I fail to have, so much pride that needs to go! But the good news is, Jesus came not only for the needy in Africa, but for needy me! And He loves to equip, and empower His people to be His hands and feet! So I take joy in the fact that He will be all that I need Him to be- and make me all He needs me to be!

Today as Christmas looms closer, who do you need Jesus to be to you? Do you need Him to heal your brokenheart? Do you need Him to free you from some prison? Or to comfort you as you mourn? Or perhaps exchange your heaviness, for His light yoke? Whatever you need- He will be for you! And then, in return, He asks that you be His hands and feet to someone else! And not for your sake, or even for those you serve- but that HE MAY BE GLORIFIED! Amen.

**edited and re-posted from the archives

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation!