Friday, October 19, 2012

homemade missions Day #19

Sometimes being a stay-at-home-mom, feels like we're stuck on the side-lines of life.  I feel like I'm missing out on the action of missions because of the season of life I'm in.  But that couldn't be farther from the truth.  Besides pouring into my children and husband, there are many ways I can reach out from right here.  That's what this series has been all about! 

Do you love to cook?  There are many times when a meal, delivered to someone in need, is just the open door and act of love that transforms lives.  Maybe its a new mom, or a family who lost their main source of income, maybe it's a new health challenge.  I just know, when I'm struggling to survive, a homemade meal (made by someone else) is just what I need!

Three resources I've found really helpful are:
One of my go-to recipes is Hawaiian Meatballs! What is your go-to meal for delivering to people? 

Hawaiian Meatballs Recipe

1 1/2 pounds ground beef
2/3 cup crushed saltine cracker crumbs
1/3 cup minced onion
1 egg
1/4 cup milk
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 (15 ounce) can pineapple chunks -
drained, with juice reserved
1/3 cup white vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/3 cup chopped green bell pepper
1. In a large bowl, combine ground beef, cracker crumbs, onion, egg, milk, ginger and salt. Shape mixture by rounded tablespoonfuls into meatballs.
2. Place meatballs on a tray and bake for 20 minutes at 350. 
3. In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, brown sugar, reserved pineapple juice, vinegar and soy sauce. Mix until smooth, then pour into the skillet with meatballs. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils, about 5 minutes. Stir in the green pepper and pineapple chunks. Heat through.

Cook rice.  Cool.  Place in ziploc bag.
Cook meatball recipe.  Cool. Place in ziploc bag.
Deliver!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation!