Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Soaking in the Son: Galatians

So, we are heading off on vacation with Josh's family today (some quality time before we leave for Uganda)- so I don't know if I will get to post my thoughts on Galatians this weekend.

I love how I've seen women on facebook rallying around this challenge- it is encouraging to know I'm not alone in my heart to know Him more and bask in the Son this summer!

It is so refreshing to start in Galatians where the main theme is freedom!  There is no way with two active boys, a baby girl and an international move that I will actually be able to read each epistle at least 4 times in one week!  But there is freedom!

I was sharing Galatians 2:20 with my boys, and I got this blank stare... "My old self has been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me. So I live in this earthly body by trusting in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me." (NLT)  I died.... It is no longer I who live....  So I live... He just didn't get it.

So I explained it this way: Imagine you are driving in a car.  Who is in control of the car?  The driver.  So either, you can be the driver of your life or Jesus can be the driver.  And of course we all want Jesus to be in the drivers' seat, however, if you're anything like me you try and turn the steering wheel from time to time and that's when trouble starts!  If Jesus is the driver: He knows where He is going, He knows the best way to get there, and He does all the work!  Hallelujah- there is freedom in letting Him be our life!

A sweet picture that I am experiencing first hand these days is that of parent and child- children freely ask for what they want and need all. the. time.  Knowing the heart of their parents grants them freedom to ask!  We have been given a spirit of sonship, so we can cry out "Abba!  Daddy!" Knowing the heart of God ought to give us freedom to ask what we need of Him!

The last aspect of freedom I noticed is in the illustration of fruit- the branch just clings to the tree- the life force of the tree flows through the branch and produces the fruit.  Praise Him- I don't have to work up fruit! As I abide, and bask in the freedom of being connected to Him, He bears fruit through me!  

Are you taking the Soaking in the Son Challenge?  What has He been saying to you through Galatians this week?  Leave a comment!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation!