Thursday, August 28, 2014

Settle Your Heart

We are right in the middle of settling in.  One half of our bedroom is {un}settled, and the other half is settled.  We still need a bookshelf made to house all our extra supplies... but there are some surfaces that look exactly the way I want them.  The furniture wish-list is long, but the budget is short.  We have enough to survive, just not everything I want.  

I love setting up our home.  I enjoy the decorating and the organizing.  I like finding just the right spot for everything.  This is our first four-year term, and it's just the beginning.  I have time to make this house just what I want it to be.  But as we settle in there is this {un}settling thought that whispers in the back of my mind:

"You do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away... -James 4:14

Ugh.  This world is passing away.  As much as I enjoy making our house a home, this world isn't my home.  

"{They}... confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.  For those who say such things declare plainly that they seek a homeland.  And truly if they had called to mind the country from which they had come out, they would have had opportunity to return.  But now they desire a better, that is, a heavenly country.  Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for He has prepared a city for them." -Hebrews 11:13-16 

{by the way if you haven't heard this song by Tenth Avenue North, do yourself a favor and go listen right now! It's on repeat here today}

And so, like Abraham, I must dwell in the land of promise as in a foreign country {thankfully not hard to do when you are actually dwelling in a foreign country}, dwelling in tents... for I am waiting for the city which has foundations, whose builder and maker is God.  {Hebrews 11:9-10}

This letter, James, written to the twelve tribes scattered abroad speaks volumes to us global ones scattered around the world. Such sage advice: "Don't get too settled. Your life is merely a vapor, here today, gone tomorrow..." But..."establish {settle} your hearts, for the coming of the Lord is at hand!" {James 5:8}

Settle my heart in Him.  As I settle in here in Uganda, I am so grateful for a forever home in His heart.  I plan on being in Uganda longer than this four-year term, but I can't know that for sure.  All I can do is put down deep heart roots in Him, so I keep thriving wherever He leads me.  And, for now, it is here.

Is there something in your life that just isn't what you wish it was- use it as an exercise in longing for your True Home.  kinda like the past 12 hours without electricity? or the unsafe roads? yeah, getting lots of practice!

**linking up today at velvetashes.com for The Grove**

Are you feeling settled or unsettled lately? 

6 comments:

  1. Thank you Kelly. Deep rooted hearts in Christ hopes us stay connected through Him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this Kel....thank for sharing your heart. This is a struggle for all missionaries (well for everyone really!)...keep finding your home in HIM, but enjoy your earthly home as well!!! It's a gift your Father wants you to embrace & enjoy & love!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a good word! I also have been contemplating the exact same passage in Hebrews regarding being strangers and foreigners in this world as my husband and I prepare for long-term missionary service in Nairobi, Kenya.

    I just started following your blog (thanks to Velvet Ashes!), and I really appreciate your perspective as we transition to Africa in a couple of months. (We blog about our journey at www.alifecalledtolove.com.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the Scriptures that you bring here (especially James 5:8!!) and the song link! "All we can do is put down deep heart roots in Him." Yes, yes! Right there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That Hebrews 11 scripture is beautiful! Thanks for the reminder to "settle my heart in Him." This was so encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. from the New King James Version if you were curious- should start noting my translation! So glad you are all encouraged!!

      Delete

Thanks for joining the conversation!