Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Justification and Sanctification

I am not a "car guy".  I do love to drive and I do love my Mitsubishi Pajero here in Uganda and Bajaj Boxer 150cc bike.  Those are probably two models of vehicles you have never heard of unless you live on this side of the world.  It's OK, that is not the point.  I did pause when I came across this picture, though...
Tama66, Ford Mustang, photograph, https://pixabay.com/photos/ford-mustang-v8-67-ford-mustang-2705402/
(Photo Credit: Tama66, Ford Mustang, photograph, https://pixabay.com/photos/ford-mustang-v8-67-ford-mustang-2705402/)
This is a picture of a Ford Mustang and it looks BEAUTIFUL! Clearly, it has been washed and polished to perfection. This almost makes me interested in becoming a "car guy".

When I came across this photo I actually began to think about holiness and sanctification (further evidence that I am not a "car guy").  If this was my car and I was able to make it this shiny and clean, there is little chance that I would drive it around. Especially not here in Kampala, Uganda. Why? It would stay this clean for about 1second before being covered in dirt and dust.

Most of us is aware that the world we live in is "dirty".  Sin and evil seem to reign unchecked in many corners of our communities and there are people who desperately need to discover the love and salvation offered through Jesus Christ.  The main way that people will discover this love and salvation is through you and me... believers.  When you and I stand out in the crowd, people notice. When we live a life different from the rest, people notice. I want to make a statement here that you may not agree with. I believe that you and I can be this shiny, clean mustang each and every day no matter how dirty our city is that we drive around in. Once we have accepted, through the grace of God, the free gift of salvation offered to us, we begin a process called sanctification. This is when God begins to return us to our proper image as found in the Garden of Eden prior to the fall. His image. Justification saved us from the penalty of sin and sanctification saves us from the power of sin. It's all salvation! We can become shiny and new!

Just like we did before, take a look at these scripture verses and then comment below your thoughts. Is it possible to be the shiny mustang again in our dirty cities?

Verses:  Colossians 3:1-17

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation!