Monday, December 23, 2019

Slow thaw

Little ones love you no matter what. They haven't been as wounded by life as teenagers have. They haven't said as many goodbyes as teens have. And all they really need is for you to see them and play a few games with them. They will love you forever.

As we minister to third culture kids (TCKs) they have lived through some pretty tough stuff, have most likely lost a best friend, and maybe had to say goodbye to a favorite mentor or teacher... trust doesn't exactly come easy. They want to be seen and known as badly as the pre-schoolers... but they also fear it because they have let people in before and then that person may have left the continent. And they are not impressed by the Christian mask. They know the real deal when they see it. Authenticity is huge.

I say all that to say, after three years the students are starting to thaw towards us. And I must believe that time isn't the only factor. Jesus did a radical work in me this spring. I am more real and more myself than I have ever been. I've been transformed. And they can tell. Praise the living God! He is alive and well in me and He is drawing them to Himself.

A couple things that have made my heart smile recently (in no particular order):

  • A girl popped into my office to borrow a pencil for exams. She knew she was welcome and not a bother.
  • A new student said hi to me for the first time after I proctored his math exam.
  • A student going through a very tough season asked if we could meet to talk after lunch- and through her tears she confessed, she didn't have much to say... she just needed a hug.
  • That same student asked "So, when can I share in chapel again?"
  • We had a line of students waiting to help us inflate our 9' beach ball. 
  • A girl was sitting at the back of the chapel one day, and seemed so happy to see me. She said she had a question about a sermon I gave more than a month ago. She had listened, was still processing and is hungry for more of Jesus. 
  • Another girl came in to my office and asked me to pray for her exams. 
As I type this list I am reminded that my prayers are making a difference, that being open and real is the only way to build community, and that transformed people really do transform their communities... they can't help it... they are just clear channels for God to flow through! Whether you are loaning a pencil, praying with another person, inflating a beach ball, or just giving a hug. He can use you! Hallelujah! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation!