Sunday, December 10, 2023

The Rhythms that Steady Us

Picnic under the tree: 2022
We've been in our Miracle House in Wilmore for two and a half years now. There are days when it feels like we left Uganda yesterday and days when it seems like we've lived here forever. Time is weird... growing kids are weird too. Caleb is a junior, Seth is a sophomore, Elizabeth is in fourth grade and Bekah is in third. I am in my second year of seminary and still working on getting my Mental Health Counseling degree. I hope to graduate the same year as Seth. Josh and I are still working for the Francis Asbury Society. 

I was leading a parenting support group for class this semester and one of the skills I taught was having a gratitude practice. Preparing for that session sent me back to my gift list tag here on our blog. I haven't kept up with the numbering of my gratitude. And I miss it. Looking back hit me deep in the feels. And made me realize how steadying and life-giving that practice is. 

Our kids are also growing so fast. I can't believe Caleb will be a senior next year. We still open advent envelopes each day, and we will picnic under the Christmas tree again this year. But the minutes with all four under our roof are finite and dwindling rapidly. Our advent envelopes are a tradition that steady us and hopefully steady our kids when they begin families of their own. 

I left off on my gift list at #8029... so I'll pick up there and keep counting. It's never too late to return to rhythms that steady you. {speaking of returning- that was my word for the year - so maybe I'll write about that soon}

8030. all four kids laughing and playing in the basement of FAS
8031. seeing the Coppedges at church
8032. breakfast sandwiches after church
8033. friends who feel like family
8034. the glow of the Christmas tree 
8035. our growing collection of ornaments- like a trip down memory lane
8036. the gift of returning
8037. thousands of photos- invitations to return 
8038. the scent of cinnamon rolls fresh from the oven
8039. a circle of parents finding strength in one another's company
8040. the honor of bearing witness to stories of pain and triumph


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation!