Thursday, October 30, 2008

Are you at ease?

Good Morning, Church!

I bring more warnings from the prophet Isaiah today. They are as relevant today, as they were centuries ago. And we would do well to heed them!

Today's readings: 1 Timothy 1, Isaiah 31-33, Psalm 119:33-64

"Woe to those who go down to Egypt for help, and rely on horses, who trust in chariots because they are many, and in horsemen for they are very strong, but who do not look to the Holy One of Israel, nor seek the Lord!" -Isaiah 31:1

"Rise up, you women who are at ease, Hear my voice; you complacent daughters, give ear to my speech. In a year and some days you will be troubled, you complacent women; for the vintage will fail, the gathering will not come. Tremble, you women who are at ease; be troubled, you complacent ones..." -Isaiah 32:9-11


"You are my portion, O Lord; I have said that I would keep Your words. I entreated Your favor with my whole heart; be merciful according to Your word. I thought about my ways, and turned my feet to Your testimonies. I made haste and did not delay to keep Your commandments." -Psalm 119:57-60

The words in Isaiah are a warning to us all- do not put your trust in earthly things, like power or people or money... they will always fail you when you need them most! But put your trust in the Lord who never fails! And also do- do not grow comfortable depending on your own strength- or or in the bounty the Lord has bestowed upon you. There will be a day when things don't pan out- there will be a day when everything that you lean on is stripped from you- and in that day what will you be left with? The Psalms give us the answer we can trust. Make the Lord your portion- lean on Him- trust Him to provide all you need. And don't get comfortable! Make haste and don't delay to sort out your priorities- don't delay to show love to the ones closest to you- make haste in sharing your faith with the world. We don't know how much time we have on this earth- we certainly shouldn't sit back and watch all our opportunities to declare the word of the Lord pass us by! So, today, look for opportunities to step outside your comfort zone- and then do it! Make haste and don't delay. And then rely on the Lord for the power and courage to do so!

Trusting Him,
Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation!