Friday, October 17, 2008

The In-Between Times

"I have learned to quit speeding through life, always trying to do too many things too quickly, without taking the time to enjoy each day's doings. I think I always thought of real living as being high. I don't mean on drugs- I mean real living was falling in love, or when I got my first job, or when I was able to help somebody, or watch my baby get born, or have a good morning of really good writing. In between the highs I was impatient- you know how it is- life seemed so Daily. Now I love the dailiness. I enjoy washing dishes. I enjoy cooking, I see my father's roses out the kitchen window, I like picking beans. I notice everything- birdsongs, the clouds, the sound of wind, the glory of sunshine after two weeks of rain. These things I took for granted before." -Olive Ann Burns (near the end of her life) as quoted in Mitten Strings for God, Katrina Kenison

Now that I am staying at home with my boys, life has slowed considerably- and I love it! Of course there are days when I am tired of the daily-ness- but overall it is delightful! I could spend hours getting lost in Seth's deep blue eyes. I could read story after story to Caleb. I could bake dozens of cookies. All of those things are such gifts to me! And just when I think life is about to get boring- Caleb discovers a new trick, or Seth catches on to something we've been trying to teach him for weeks, or a find a great new recipe to try! Yesterday was no exception!

Josh and I try to fit in a date each week- and both of our parents are amazing for keeping the boys, so that we can! Well, yesterday was date day. We had decided to get Coldstone (through October they are offering their menu items at 50% between 2pm-5pm!! We couldn't pass that up) , and then walk in the park. Well, as we were walking the asphalt trail, we noticed a freshly laid path into the woods we had never seen before. And we were off on an adventure! The leaves have begun to change, and the colors were brilliant. And we were sneaking off into the woods- we had no idea where the trail would take us! To our delight, we came out to a little dock, with a park bench overlooking a small lake. It was like this haven was created just for us! And so we spent some lovely minutes sitting quietly in each other's presence- soaking in the glories of autumn. And then we got curious and off down another path we went! This led to a small dam- and so we cautiously stepped through the shallow rushing waters to the other side! It was like a day out of my childhood when we would play behind our house! I haven't felt so alive- so myself- so not a mom- in a long time! It was delicious!

I am so grateful for an adventurous husband, who trudges through forests with me, and allows me to take a gazillion pictures. And I am grateful that we set aside time each week for adventures to happen- they don't always, some dates are better than others- but we are always together. And that makes our time so precious! What if we had been too busy for date night this week? What if we had been walking too quickly and missed that secret trail? We would have missed a grand adventure! And I am a firm believer that an adventure is just waiting to happen if you have eyes to see it and time to go after it! So keep your eyes peeled for an adventure- and for the beauty of a quiet moment. And cherish those in-between times.

1 comment:

  1. Enjoy those precious times. Our boys are 30 and 18; one off living his life in "leave it to beaver land" and the other off in the military and now every night is date night! Truly it is in the slowing down of things that our riches here on earth are received. God bless you and yours.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!