Monday, October 27, 2008

Stayed on Him

Good Morning, Church!

Repeat. Trust the Lord. He has brought this to the forefront again- so I will repeat His words. Trust Me.

Today's readings: 2 Thessalonians 1, Isaiah 25-26, Psalm 117

"You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You. Trust in the Lord forever, for in Yah, the Lord, is everlasting strength." -Isaiah 26:3-4


Like I was saying the other day, when we fix our eyes on the Lord, our troubles fade into the background. It is easy to have peace in uncertain times, because we can trust in our God. How do we "stay our minds" on Him?

There are breath prayers like the "Jesus Prayer" that I wrote about before ("Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner")- or some other breath prayer that is meaningful to you; you can create your own. Even just the quick prayer, "I trust You", can be prayed through out the day until it sinks into your soul and becomes your heartbeat. That is what breath prayers are meant to do.

Or you could memorize a passage of Scripture that illustrates God's trustworthiness- or highlights a favorite characteristic of God. When I was living in Uganda I memorized Psalm 73:23-26 because I didn't know if I was going to survive all the stresses in my life (living alone, in africa, my first year teaching, a challenging class...) "Nevertheless I am continually with You; You hold me by my right hand. You will guide me with Your counsel, and afterward receive me to glory. Whom have I in heaven but You? And there is none upon earth that I desire besides You. My flesh and my heart fail; but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."

Another easy way to "stay our minds" on Him is to listen to worship music. It centers our minds on who He is- instead of filling our minds with TV images, or secular radio songs.

Whatever you do to "stay your mind" on Him, use it to call your soul home through out the day- and find your rest and your peace in Him.

Fixing my mind on Him,
Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation!