Sunday, November 30, 2008

Advent Meditation #1

Happy Advent, Church!

It is with joy I resume our daily devotional thoughts for the advent season! The break was good for me, but I am happy to writing again! So brew something hot, and enjoy our first advent reading!

today's reading: Isaiah 42:1-9

"Behold! My Servant whom I uphold, My Elect One in whom My soul delights!...I, the Lord have called You in righteousness, and will hold Your hand; I will keep You and give You as a covenant to the people, as a light to the Gentiles, to open blind eyes, to bring out prisoners from the prison, those who sit in darkness from the prison house...." -Isaiah 42:1, 6-7


I feel as though I am eavesdropping on an intimate conversation between God the Father, and Jesus His Son... can you picture it? Perhaps they were in heaven, and God is giving Jesus a pep talk before He makes His descent to earth. Or perhaps these are the words God gave to Jesus so He could refer back to them in the Garden of Gethsemane... I don't know. But they are certainly encouraging!

God gave Jesus the certainty of His love... "My soul delights in You." God gave Jesus a reminder of His power..."Who created the heavens and stretched them out..." God gave Jesus a promise of His presence... "I will hold Your hand..." God gave Jesus a purpose..."Be a light to the Gentiles, open blind eyes, bring out prisoners..." God gave Jesus all the motivation He needed..."I am the Lord, that is My name; and My glory I will not give to another."

And so Jesus came. And so we are called to go forth in His name carrying on the work He began. As we enter this advent season, let us use these words of affirmation (that were probably echoing in Jesus' ears as He came to earth as a baby) for us personally. God delights in you, He is holding your hand... and He wants to walk with you in this season of advent. So slow down. Pay attention to the ways He is declaring His love for you. Speak His love into this dark and busy world. And enjoy this joyous time of year!

Advent Blessings,
Kelly

Our readings for this advent season:
Nov 30: Isaiah 42:1-9
Dec 1: Psalm 89:1-29
Dec 2: Isaiah 55
Dec 3: Isaiah 35
Dec 4: Luke 1:5-25
Dec 5: John 1:1-10
Dec 6: John 1:11-18
Dec 7: Micah 5:2-5
Dec 8: Luke 1:26-38
Dec 9: Isaiah 11:1-5
Dec 10: Mark 1:1-8, Malachi 3:1-4
Dec 11: Isaiah 40:1-11
Dec 12: Isaiah 52
Dec 13: Isaiah 9:2-7
Dec 14: Isaiah 7:14
Dec 15: Zechariah 9:9-10
Dec 16: Luke 1:39-56
Dec 17: Jeremiah 33:7-16
Dec 18: Luke 1:57-80
Dec 19: Isaiah 61
Dec 20: Revelation 21:1-7
Dec 21: Matthew 2:1-12
Dec 22: Revelation 1:10-18
Dec 23: Matthew 1:1-18
Dec 24: Matthew 1:18-25
Dec 25: Luke 2:1-20

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation!