Tuesday, November 25, 2008

A fragrant offering

"Lord, I cry out to You; make haste to me! Give ear to my voice when I cry out to You. Let my prayer be set before You as incense, the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice." -Psalm 141:1-2

I am not catholic. But there are so many beautiful traditions in the catholic church that add a depth and richness I feel is lacking in the protestant church. Incense is one of them- I am all about the multi-sensory worship experience! But I don't know much about the theology/doctrine behind incense. Feel free to comment if you have some insight for me.

As I was reading these verses and living the life God has assigned to me these days... one of sleepless nights and miserable children... I don't even have the energy to put words to my prayers. But the picture of incense wafting up to heaven was something that resounded in my heart and stirred my soul. Some days the most I can muster for God is an upward glance in His direction... and even that delights Him ("You have ravished my heart with one look of your eyes" -Song of Songs 4:9). I am so glad that the smallest movement in His direction is worship! And as a weary mom- it is comforting to know that as I exhale (read ::::sigh::::) I can be praying! My moments of pause through out the day can be prayer. And my sighs of desperation or exasperation... can be turned into my cry to the Lord! So today, as I do the next thing, I will be breathing my prayers- and I hope that they will be a sweet-smelling fragrance to the One I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation!