Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Drinking in Autumn...

Autumn is definitely my favorite season- the brilliant colors, the rich scents, the delicious treats... and I am drinking them in this fall! It makes me sad in some ways, that Africa doesn't have autumn, but I am excited to create new traditions (like the Rain Festival at HIS). But now, this autumn, I am feasting on the glories of the season!

Which is why I was so excited that my friend, Alex, told me to check out R.M. Rilke:


    Autumn


    The leaves are falling, falling as if from far up,
    as if orchards were dying high in space.
    Each leaf falls as if it were motioning "no."

    And tonight the heavy earth is falling
    away from all other stars in the loneliness.

    We're all falling. This hand here is falling.
    And look at the other one. It's in them all.

    And yet there is Someone, whose hands
    infinitely calm, holding up all this falling.

    -R.M. Rilke
    Translated by Robert Bly
I am so glad that no matter where I am, He is there, holding me up, sustaining me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation!