Friday, July 08, 2011

What to do with Old Pineapple...

Back home, if something was old, I'd be inclined to toss it in the garbage.  That was before I drove by poverty every day.  Now I am finding ways to use everything.  Gloria and I were cleaning out the fridge today, and I found some pineapples left over from the team.  Surely, it's not edible.  But Gloria taught me how to boil it to make juice! I am slowly learning how to live more frugally- and eventually that will leave us with more money to give away!

Watching small children begging by the side of the road does something to your heart.  And I am not quite sure how to respond in a way that helps and doesn't harm.  I'll keep you posted as I wrestle through this- but one thing I am doing- is becoming more aware of how I steward the things God has entrusted to me.

You and I have been enormously blessed.  We are citizens of one of the wealthiest countries in the world.  We eat three meals a day.  We have a home to live in, clothes to wear, electricity... the list goes on and on.

So how are we using what we have been given to bless the nations?  What could you give up, in order to give back?  Could you skip that dinner out to eat once a week, or that Starbucks coffee- and sponsor a child?  Could you clip coupons and donate some of your stockpile to a homeless shelter?  Maybe you can't spare any money- and that is ok- but could you fast one meal a week and pray for world missions?  We are praying that God would bless you big time- and that you would pass that blessing on to someone else!


**Recipe for Pineapple Juice**

Ingredients:
two old pineapples
water
1 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
2 T. tea leaves
sugar (or not) to taste

Directions:
Chop pineapple.  Put in a large pot.  Fill with water, a little less than halfway.  Bring to a boil- let boil a couple hours.  Add 1 1/2 tsp ground ginger and 2 T tea leaves (or 4 tea bags).  Let boil for another hour or so.  Press with potato masher.  Strain. Add a little bit of sugar, if needed.  Let cool. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I am so excited to hear that this worked for you! We tried but it was weak. We did it with the skin and core of the pineapple. Maybe that was the problem, maybe not boiling it long enough, maybe the tea and ginger since we did not add them. I will try again :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent article. Very interesting to read. I really love to read such a nice article. Thanks! keep rocking. https://medium.com/@k3msoider/pineapple-tarts-singapore-bd84434c4651

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!