Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Tuesdays with Sunday School

Mwajuma (left) and Ellie (right) attended our Sunday School Seminar
one Sunday the students at KIU noticed lots of children wandering around the streets with nothing to do.  so they asked them, "Hey kids, want to do Sunday School?".  The children were eager to have something to do, and for people to pay attention to them.  So Sunday School at United Faith Chapel was born!  This was years ago.  Two weeks ago they had 93 kids, ages 1-16, at Sunday School.

I was asked to lead a Sunday School Seminar for the teachers last week- since most of the ones who volunteer their time may or may not have teaching experience or training.  Basically, these students saw a need and are doing something about it.  They don't have much, but what they have they are sharing.  And they are sharing the love of Jesus. 

The children mostly come from the Police barracks- where living conditions are less than ideal.  They went to the market to buy second hand clothes for the kids, they rallied the church to donate what they could: money, sugar, beans, clothes, cups, bowls. Anything.  I'm really proud of our students.  It is a privilege to serve them, and equip them to reach the world in need.

I do have a confession to make, just like the other day when I was frustrated when Seth kept interrupting my quiet time, but then seized the moment for Jesus.  Likewise, I wasn't all that excited about leading this seminar- truth be told, I've never taught Sunday School in my life.  But I said yes, and was so blessed by these students!  They rock.  and I'm humbled God lets me serve Him here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation!