Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Lessons in Simplicity


There is something beautiful in the simplicity of travel.   You do not pack everything you own.  You pare down what clothes you will wear over and over again for six-weeks.  You leave your kitchen utensils at home.  You pack your favorite snacks, not your entire spice cabinet. You let the children pack one backpack each.  This is no unlimited toy box from which to draw.  

Your accommodations vary from a single bedroom in a house full of people and things to an entire empty house with the bare essentials provided for your stay. 

We are slowly learning to say with Paul, “I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty.  I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.  I can do everything through Him who gives me strength.” –Philippians 4:12-14

And the learning has been sweet.  Today Josh learned how to cook an entire breakfast with a fork and frying pan.  The boys have retreated into their imaginary world with only some music and a blanket for props.   I am sitting on the one couch enjoying a novel on my Kindle- there is no TV, internet or cell service.  We have played games together, read books, and had a dance party. 


The physical simplicity is bringing simplicity to my heart- the bare walls and quiet days are allowing my soul to breathe again.  I have more time for prayer.  We can enjoy lengthy lunch dates with champions and prayer meetings with supporting churches and be fully present.  There is nothing to rush home for- we are here for them.  And it is lovely. 

Stay tuned later in the series for the other side of this lesson- abounding in the midst of busyness and people! 

1 comment:

  1. Oh how we long for simplicity!!! What a beautiful gift you are getting to enjoy <3

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!