Monday, January 12, 2015

One Word 365: Tend 2015

In my perfect world, I slip away on January 1st and spend the day in solitude, prayer, reflection and planning.

In my real world, it's January 12th and I'm stealing an hour during nap-time. It's not perfect, but it will have to do. It's a "partial solution", as Tsh Oxenreider would say.

My year of #here 2014 was such a success. That word met me pretty much everyday. I didn't stay present every moment, but I did a little better. And this year's word is just taking it to the next level.

Tend: to care for, to watch over, protect, nurture.

There are so many directions this word may go- tending a flock, tending a garden, tending a fire... but the one essential element in each of those tasks is paying attention and doing the work.  If the shepherd falls asleep, the sheep are at risk. If the gardener fails to water the plants, they will shrivel and die. If you don't build a fire well and keep it fed, the flame will go out. Paying attention AND doing the work. It has to be both. Last year I practiced paying attention, but now it's time to do something with these moments!

So that is where I am setting my heart this year- to tend well my relationship with God, my family and marriage, and my home, Nothing else will matter if those fall apart. Everything else will spring from those three things.

What's your word for 2015?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation!