Monday, February 09, 2015

Hidden.

In this age of social media it is so easy and tempting to be seen. I can post an instagram of me and Elizabeth reading a book, or what I am chopping for dinner. I can share a funny quote from my kids. And I have total control over how I curate these moments. I can also rationalize that our family back in the states and our supporters want to be a part of our lives, albeit, virtually.

Up until this generation most of these moments were shared only by a mama and her kids- perhaps a friend who was over for a real-life playdate. And now these precious moments are broadcast all over the internet. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, or that I don't do my share of over-sharing. But this morning, Jesus started opening my eyes to the beauty and purpose of hidden-ness.

I'll be the first to admit that these tiny years, and life on the mission field, can be lonely {which makes the temptation to broadcast that much stronger}. My days revolve around nap-times and bed-times. And my energy for socializing is practically non-existent. And my other missionary mom friends have the same problems. And I sometimes wonder "what's the point?" What is God doing in these hidden years?

I think I found my answer in the story of David summarized in Psalm 78:70-72 (NKJV):
"He also chose David His servant, and took him from the sheepfolds; from following the ewes that had young He brought him, to shepherd Jacob His people, and Israel His inheritance. So he shepherded them according to  the integrity of his heart, and guided them by the skillfulness of his hands."
God took David from the sheepfolds- from a hidden place of faithfulness, years of doing small things- in preparation for leading His people. Because of his hidden years and all God worked into him in those days, David had the integrity, faithfulness, and skills required in his next assignment.

You don't learn integrity in the spotlight. The spotlight only reveals integrity. Integrity is birthed in hidden faithfulness when no one is watching. Integrity is when your words, and actions line up, when people can count on you to do what you say you will do, and when you keep at it even when no one notices. Skillfulness is gained by habitual practice, repetition, dailiness, hard work and discipline.

David knew that being a shepherd is lonely business; there was no one around but sheep and God. And that was enough.

And so God is teaching me that the beauty of hidden-ness is the intimacy I can cultivate with Him and my flock in this season. And the purpose of hidden-ness is to produce in my character the things that are lacking. I'm sure there will still be pictures on instagram {don't worry, mom!}, but behind the scenes I'll be pursuing my Audience of One.

How do you deal with the loneliness of the little years? Please share!

7 comments:

  1. I love this Kelly!! What a beautiful glimpse into His plans and purposes for us in those hidden times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lorraine! He is so sweet to give us glimpes.

      Delete
  2. Amen, girl! Thanks for sharing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is beautiful insight, Kelly.
    God just showed me last year how those hidden, lonely years were used by Him and that He was leading me in how to pray for my kids in ways that were planted deep within them. They grabbed hold of and built upon those seeds that were deep within when they needed it much later.
    These days matter so much more than you can perceive now, for you and for them :)
    Blessings over your pursuit of Jesus!
    It is the most important thing you can do right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the encouragement, Janie! We love you guys. So grateful for how you speak truth into our lives.

      Delete
  4. I found this post on the ALifeOverseas blog and it was like a lightbulb going on. In just a few paragraphs you've explained why I've struggled to be genuine on our blog but why privacy is important to me. I never realised it was all to do with integrity. So thanks for that lightbulb moment, and also I linked to your post on the ALO blog and quoted you, I thought you might like to know: https://adventuresinarnhem.wordpress.com/2015/12/09/thoughts-on-privacy-and-integrity/
    Hi from Arnhem Land.
    PJ

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!