Friday, December 29, 2017

One: 2018



Do you have a word for 2018 yet? I love having a focus each year to guide my thoughts, goals and spiritual growth. Last year my word was "abide" and it was a rich season. And this year my word is "one".

The quote that led me to this word is from Mother Theresa:

"I never look at the masses as my responsibility. I look only at the individual. I can love only one person at a time. Just one, one, one. You get closer to Christ by coming closer to each other." -Mother Theresa
I was convicted by the thought that I can only love one person at a time... because sadly the one person I'm loving in any given moment is my self. I can only love you right now, or me. And while I agree that the Great Commandment says to love others as you love yourself... it has to be in the proper order.

Love God (and receive His love for you), then out of the fullness of that love, love others as you love yourself. It's a total reorientation. A shift in focus. Already the idea of loving one person at a time has helped me in my family life, my ministry and my business. Can't wait to see how it will transform my year.

And the word "one" can go in so many directions! Can't wait to see where it takes me as I walk through the Scriptures this year- already I'm thinking... that man and woman were to be one (leaving and cleaving), there was only one fruit from one tree Adam and Eve were forbidden to eat, one thing you lack, one way to the Father, Jesus prayer that we would be one as He and the Father are one... what are some Scriptures that come to your mind when you hear the word "one"?

Do you have a word yet? How did you do keeping up with your word last year?

2 comments:

  1. Kelly, I'm inspired by your thoughts and the quote from Mother Theresa on One. Following you this year with the word Abide :) Blessings, Jodie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly, thank you for linking up with Velvet Ashes! "One" is so helpful as we (or at least I) often feel the pressure for more, more, more! My word this year is "jubilee" :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!