Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Praying Isaiah 44

The war rages on. The battle in the heavenlies. It's been thick lately. And I am learning so much. Since January I've been trying a new practice that has really been strengthening my faith. And I would love to share it with you.

Praying the Scripture has been on my radar for years. And as I pray I weave bits of Scripture or verses or phrases into my requests. But this year, I have been praying one chapter of Isaiah at a time. And it has been powerful.

Aligning our prayers with God's will is vital. What better way to do that than pray His own words back to Him?

Here is a prayer based on Isaiah 44:

"I am Your servant, O Lord- chosen by You, made by You, formed by You- help me. I won't fear, my Master- for You have chosen me. Pour water on those who are thirsty, flood the dry ground with Your living water. Pour out Your Spirit on our descendants (and our students). and Your blessing on our offspring; may they spring up among the grass like willows by the watercourses. May they say "I am the Lord's", call themselves by Your name, and write with their hands, "The Lord's". May they be wholly Yours. You are my King, my Redeemer, the Lord of hosts; You are the first and last, besides You there is no God. Who can proclaim as You do? I won't fear, I won't be afraid; I am Your witness, there is no God besides You. Indeed there is no other Rock; I know not one.

All our idols are useless, the precious things we run to and cling to won't profit us anything. May they be ashamed. Forgive us for forming gods and molding images that profit us nothing. God, we work so hard to please, and bow so deeply to things that cannot satisfy us. Hear, and forgive our idolatry. May they utterly fail and disappoint us. Give us eyes to see the futility of idol worship. Forgive us for falling down and worshipping anything but You. We feed on ashes; the deceiver has lied to us, turned us aside- but we cannot deliver our own souls, nor can I deliver anyone else's soul- You alone are our Deliverer. 

You have formed me, and I am Your servant- don't forget me. Blot out our transgressions and our sins. May we return to You, for You have redeemed us.

Let us sing for You have done it! We shout and break forth into singing! For You, Lord have redeemed us, and glorified Yourself in our midst. You are the Lord, who makes all things, who stretches out the heavens all alone, who spreads abroad the earth by Yourself... frustrate the signs of the babblers, drive diviners mad, turn wise men backward, and make their knowledge foolishness. Confirm the word of Your servant, and perform the counsel of Your messengers, raise up our waste places, O God and be exalted. Use everything- good and bad- for Your good purposes on our behalf and for Your glory. In the name of Jesus, Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation!