Wednesday, August 24, 2011

"I was hungry..."

A Hymn of Faith
Though the fig tree may not blossom,  
Nor fruit be on the vines;
Though the labor of the olive may fail,
And the fields yield no food;
Thouh the flock may be cut off from the fold,
And there be no herd in the stalls—
Yet I will rejoice in the LORD,  
I will joy in the God of my salvation.
The LORD God is my strength;  
He will make my feet like deer’s feet,
And He will make me walk on my high hills.” 
-Habakkuk 3:17-19

As I see effects of drought, famine, poverty, I pray that God’s people in Uganda, Kenya, Somalia would be able to claim this Hymn of Faith.  It is hard to watch people go hungry.  I’m sad that people can’t find work.  There is such need.  And it’s hard to know what to do- there is a guilt, and an ache- to be the hands and feet of Jesus.  And yet, there is knowledge that “hand outs” don’t really help people.  That equipping and training people- empowering them- is the way to truly help them overcome their circumstances and make positive changes.   

So what do we do about the hungry people in Africa?
  • We can live modestly, and share our wealth (sponsor a child, donate to Community Health Empowerment, etc).
  • We can fast and pray for the hurting and hungry (fasting not only enhances our prayer life, it helps us stand in solidarity with the poor).  Or even just take one day a week and eat rice and beans for dinner- like many around the world- and share the weekly savings that choice brings.
  • We can promote awareness of global need in our circles of influence.  Bring global/missions issues to the table at your church, at work, in conversation with friends.
  • We can advocate for the poor at the national level.   
  • We Can Help: Kenya Famine Relief with WGM 
  • We can donate toward relief efforts. Compassion International is also on the ground in East Africa.   

Billy and Joanna Coppedge share their hearts about the great hunger in Northern Uganda.



image from fews.net

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation!