Monday, December 03, 2012

Counting the days...

our Advent Envelopes
like a giddy child counts the days and minutes until Christmas, i find myself counting as well.  not days, or even minutes- but moments... gifts.

who says you have to wait until Christmas to open your gifts? when you have a heavenly Father, you can unwrap gifts daily.

i'm not saying that every day is sunny and unblemished.  there is pain and poverty all around us.  but what I am saying is: there are gifts to be found even on the bad days, if we have eyes to see and hands open to receive. 

"In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while, if need be, you have been grieved by various trials, that the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ, whom having not seen you love. Though now you do not see Him, yet believing, you rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory..." I Peter 1:6-8

Our days may be filled with busyness, weariness, or pain- but in this fact we can rejoice: the revelation of Jesus Christ.  If He is being revealed in me more and more- it doesn't matter what my circumstances are.  If He shines more brightly in my weariness than in my strength- I can rejoice in that.  

And so I keep counting, unwrapping gifts daily like a little kid {#7022-7039}


7022.  apple pie making with friends.  making it feel like home.
7023.  Scott here to roll out the pie crust
7024.  Josh doing dishes.
7025.  Jo peeling apples with me.
7026.  Meg doing the crumble topping.
7027.  gorgeous apple pie.  our mom would be proud.

7028.  3 gifts bright: candles, sunshine on a fun day, the smile of a friend.
7029.  a sweet family night. chocolate chip pancakes. games. Jesse tree story.


7030.  date day with my man- out for coffee at Beans Cafe!
7031.  time away to really talk and enjoy each others company
7032.  sound of rain pounding on our roof.
7033.  cool bluster of wind through the window
7034.  earthy smell of rain suddenly descending

7035.  Your presence in each moment.
7036.  how You surprise me.
7037.  the way You renew me.
7038.  You putting on skin.  stooping from heaven. coming down.
7039.  rain washing the earth.  like tears.  we've broken Your heart, and still You come to us.

2 comments:

  1. It's a lovely pie... proud of so much more than the pie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you reminded me that our heavenly Father gives us gifts to unwrap daily! Thank you! Blessings to you this advent and Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!