Wednesday, January 16, 2013

TIA: A Great Quest


"...inconvenience, as I have said, is only one aspect, and that the most unimaginative and accidental aspect of a really romantic situation. An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered." -G.K. Chesterton

Descending down our rocky hill, braking just before the on-slaught of traffic.  I gently move into the flow, adding my contribution to the smog overhead.  I am on a quest.  One that often proves mundane, but today has me scouring the city.

I arrive at the ATM at our corner grocery story.  Another brave soul emerges- "Sorry, try again later." I resume my quest, battling traffic and dodging pedestrians at every turn.  ATM #2 "No money" says the woman sitting inside the booth, without even the customary greeting.  I reluctantly head to Heritage to get what little money Josh had {ATM #3}.  I decide to tempt fate and attempt ATM #4.  It cycles through... cycles through... I must have asked for too much money.  Receipt.  No money.  "Your account will be reimbursed." The ATMs have won.

I am the hunter.  Scouring shelves for cheapest price.  Whittling down my list to necessities.  I arrive home weary, yet satisfied.  I braved the world of grocery shopping in Kampala and survived.  today.

What inconvenience could you re-write as an adventure?  It's all about perspective. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation!